Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America, Inc.
Embedded in a worldwide network Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America continuously strives to remain at the forefront of successful automotive research and development. MBRDNA is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, with key areas of Autonomous Driving, Advanced Interaction Design, Digital User Experience, Machine Learning, Customer Research, and Open Innovation. In Redford, Michigan, the focus is on Powertrain and eDrive technology as well as in Long Beach, where the teams test durability of the latest driver assistant and telematic systems. The Digital Hub in Seattle focusses on developing a cloud architecture and building out the cloud platform for the next generation of connected car services. The Testing and Regulatory Affairs Division in Ann Arbor and the Advanced Vehicle Design in Carlsbad complete the competence center.
Job Introduction: (Primary purpose of this position)
Lead the overall E/E vehicle updating process for MBRDNA. This includes the planning, scheduling and execution of all hardware and software release updates necessary to fully update test vehicles to the correct release level. This also includes the commissioning of all systems to ensure correct functionality post-flash and documentation of the results.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
Key responsibilities of this role are organizing, coordinating, and performing vehicle updates on a technical level utilizing tools such as DTS Monaco and a Daimler specific tool called SoftwareTankstelle (SWT). These responsibilities include:
- Lead the organizing, scheduling, and performing vehicle updates utilizing tools such as Monaco SoftwareTankstelle. This starts with a high-level plan to identify all vehicle update needs within the MBRDNA organization. Agreements must be reached with each business partner regarding the required timing and associated funding to perform this work, and then establishing appropriate capacity planning within our team and the related workshops.
- Establish strong relationships with related teams in Germany that support the hardware and software availability and the related technical tools.
- Act as the EE update leader to work with other MBRDNA departments including Powertrain, Durability, Telematics, Advanced driver assistant Systems and Sunnyvale teams to handle the EE updates their teams require. This includes frequent communication, planning, HW and SW support, for local vehicle updates, or bringing vehicles to Long Beach for updating as needed.
- Lead the team to assure track HW availability timing and delivery timing to assure timely vehicle completion.
- Establish and maintain metrics related to update completion quality, timing, and cost
- Actively work on process development and continuous improvement.
- Act as a consultant to other engineer teams on vehicle flashing and trouble-shooting support for ECU-specific supports as needed
- Train new engineers requiring SWT flashing training, as well as training workshop technicians in Long Beach and Ann Arbor
- Monitor new model lines and architecture updates within the Daimler network of Passenger Cars, Vans, and AMG. When new training and experience is required, plan and participant in training to stay abreast of these latest advancements.
- Support technicians in Ann Arbor and Long Beach when they need help during vehicle updating
Other responsibilities for supporting E/E Integration testing, including:
- Test drive planning, scheduling, testing, error tracking, and reporting back to Daimler sponsors
- Coordination with other functional groups at Daimler and MBRDNA to perform combined test drives
- Analyze functionality and summarize results from static testing and from validation test drives
- Document, quantify and report results to car line departments and functional areas
- Support budget planning with customer departments and vehicle and test plans
- Provide release recommendations for the US market to customer departments (car lines)
- Minimum level of education required and required field of study:
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (mechanical, computer, computer science, mechatronics, electrical, etc)
- Minimum skills required :
Organizational and Leadership Skills: ability to organize people, budget, logistics, data, parts and workshop workflows within the TechCenter, as well as with the customer departments, functional teams, and management in Germany. Ability to lead MBRDNA workshops through advanced troubleshooting procedures. Ability to lead groups on test drives.
Analytic or systems engineering knowledge: Ability to learn troubleshooting strategies of complex CAN/LIN/Flexray Star2.x and Star3 vehicle systems in order to identify issues, analyze and determine failure root causes to evaluate and guide solutions and repair actions of test vehicle and prototype vehicle problems.
Knowledge of common measurement and diagnostic tools (CANalyzer, CANape, DTS Monaco, Diagmera) and ability to analyze and interpret test and diagnostic data. Knowledge of ECU HW/SW functionality as part of a vehicle system.
Automotive Development Knowledge: Good understanding of vehicle development process, system development process, liability and quality requirements, knowledge of automobile technology, vehicle electrical and onboard communication architecture, assembly structure, modules and parts. Comprehensive knowledge of vehicle functions.
Interpersonal and Team skills: Experience in intercultural environment, German language skills favored to read and understand project requirements and communicate with counterparts in Germany. Must be able to independently build up working relationships with intra-company expert departments in Germany, Austria, and North America in order to address all hardware and software topics.
Project Management Skills: Ability to independently generate parallel plans and identify milestones necessary to reach individual and overall project targets.
- Will accept equivalent work experience in lieu of formal education
- Minimum years of experience required:
Over 6 years
- Combination of Degree and Years of experience acceptable (minimum) :
Bachelors + 8 yrs / Masters + 6 yrs/ PhD + 3 yrs
- Other licenses or certifications required :
Ability to test drive vehicles
German language skills, written and spoken
Familiar with vehicle troubleshooting, Daimler diagnostic tools, project management.
Master's degree with emphasis in Computer, Mechatronics or Electrical Engineering.
Why should you apply?
Here at MBRDNA, you create digital ecosystems around cars, you design a language between humans and machines, you make a car even more intelligent - you make the new reality for cars. Our benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401k savings plan, tuition and fitness reimbursement programs and much more. We have an open and flexible environment to allow you to push boundaries, join MBRDNA and design your future.
Check out our open jobs here. Learn more about MBRDNA and connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
MBRDNA is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce.
MBRDNA only accepts resumes from approved agencies who have a valid Agency Agreement on file. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, MBRDNA employees, or send to any MBRDNA location. MBRDNA is not responsible for any fees or claims related to receipt of unsolicited resumes.
Represented by the Board of Management: Ola Källenius (Chairman), Martin Daum, Renata Jungo Brüngger, Wilfried Porth, Markus Schäfer, Britta Seeger, Hubertus Troska, Harald Wilhelm
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Manfred Bischoff
Commercial Register Stuttgart, No. HRB 19360
VAT registration number: DE 81 25 26 315